The prospect of editing a video can sometimes feel so daunting that it stops some makers before they even get started.
In this episode of Movies for Makers, Zach and Jen build a basic understanding of video editing that will help you better understand the process, no matter what software or application you are using. Plus, they talk about sharing your videos online and answer live questions!
(0:41) Part One: A Basic Vocabulary for Video Editing
- Media folder
- Preview and Canvas Windows
- B-roll and still photography
- Music and Voice Over
(8:08) Part Two: Putting the Pieces Together
- Starting with the meat of your project.
- Cuts: Making them and covering them.
- Letting the story drive the visuals.
(22:57) Part Three: Sharing Your Videos Online
- Different Platforms for Different Purposes
- The Context and Purpose of Your Video
- Who and Where Your Audience Is
(28:18) Part Four: Application Links and Recommendations
For editing on smartphones/tablets:
- for iOS Devices: iMovie or Adobe Premiere Clip
- for Android Devices: Video Editor or Adobe Premiere Clip
For editing on a desktop or laptop computer:
(32:21) Questions and Answers:
- How do I manage the large video media files?
- How do I reduce the file sizes?
- What about using a GoPro for aerial shots?
- How do I build the story I want to tell?
Here’s a list of every episode in the first season of Movies for Makers. Experience the live show on Mondays, and episode replays on Tuesdays.